Thursday, June 5, 2008

starstrucked again!

A friend of mine and Jolina


signing autographs

I Luv Jolina

By Ronelo Ladiao

There are millions of reasons why I love Jolina. Throughout the years, Jolina Magdangal shines brighter than ever. It is a huge feat to maintain her celebrity status as a recording artist, soap opera princess, versatile host, fashion entrepreneur, movie icon and soon-to-be a politician’s wife. At 27, Jolina Magdangal is not just a household name in the entertainment industry, she’s an OPM pop jewel, a youth role model and an actress with credibility. Achieving several Quintuple recording albums, successful solo concerts here and abroad, starred in box-office movies, top-rating TV shows, chosen as host for Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s weekly documentary show, launching a nationwide chain of boutique called “Jolina’s Fashion Gallery” and hailed by many showbiz writers as multi-media star, Jolina Magdangal is a superstar with a heart for many people. And with her continued success as one of GMA Network’s important talent via her Sunday SOP and Unang Hirit hosting plus a smash hit TV soap opera “I Luv NY”, Jolina’s luck in Philippine showbiz remains promising.

As usual, Jolina remains to be one of the most amiable and approachable celebrity who never gets tired to smile whenever a fan or reporter ask her for a picture-taking or autograph signing. Humble as she is, Jolina granted this writer a chance to chat with her, unveil her innermost thoughts, passions and unfulfilled dreams.

Born on November 6, 1978, Maria Jolina Perez-Magdangal was born to a proud couple Generoso and Paulette Magdangal. As a middle child of three siblings, “Jolens” as often called by her friends enjoyed the attention given to her by her supportive family. She studied and finished her elementary, secondary and college at Sienna College School, Colegio de San Lorenzo, University of the Philippines and AMA Computer College, respectively.

Jolina started her early musical career as a member of 14K, Ryan Cayabyab’s musical group of young singers in the 90s. Later she appeared for a Colgate commercial in Eat Bulaga and when her commercial deals poured in, Mr. Johnny Manahan of ABS-CBN recognized her talent. After years of successful casting in “Ang TV”, Jolina was build up and destined to become a sensational entertainment celebrity until she transferred to GMA in 2002 when her contract with the former network ended.

Lately, she was proud to announce her full support for his fiancé, Bebong Muñoz on his plan to enter the politics next year. Will it be a new beginning for Jolina as a politician’s wife and a quest to maintain her successful showbiz career?

Here’s more of Jolina:

When you were a little girl did you ever dream of becoming famous?

Jolina: Actually hindi! When I was a little girl gusto kong maging milyornarya para mabibili ko lahat ng gusto ko tapos magpatayo ng business, spend my money wisely at tsaka ipamigay sa mga taong nangangailangan.

Tell us about your philosophy in life?

Jolina: I think we should stick to the values we learned from our home, values that our parents taught us how to live a worthy life and though it sounds “chessy” but its works well… fly high but keep your feet on the ground!

If you were to live your past life again, what kind of life would you choose?

Jolina: In my past life gusto ko maging member ng Royal Family katulad ni Prince William at magsuot ng magagarang mga damit at puno ng ibat-ibang kulang ng jewelries. I also like to live my life somewhere in 1960s wherein I can trendy wear clothes during that period.

Do you ever have any unfulfilled dreams in showbiz nowadays?

Jolina: of course, I didn’t make any serious movies yet. Yung tipong pang award-winning movies kung saan I can prove my versatility as an actress. Another dream is meet Madonna, my all-time favorite musical idol. I adore all her songs from the 80s at tsaka gustong-gusto ko the way she reinvents her music and image.

They say you’re a trendsetter in fashion, can you tell us about your fashion philosophy?

Jolina: As a fashionista I’m free-spirited, I wear anything that makes me comfortable and confident regardless what other people will say. I like to explore, mix n’ match accessories and attires, just anything as long as I feel fashionable and creative at the same time.

Speaking of your fashion gallery merchandise, you’re the only celebrity to come up with your own Jolina doll aside from Nora Aunor in the 70s, how does it feel?

Jolina: It’s great and fulfilling because I can express my fashion taste and personality with my Jolina dolls though its not already sold in the market. I would like to inspire young people to become fashionable and business-minded.

Who is Jolina when she’s in love and inspired?

Jolina: I’m serious. I would do anything to take care of the one I love and I don’t expect any return for everything I give as long as I make him happy.

What makes Jolina cry?

Jolina: They say mababaw daw ang luha ko (laughs) kapag nanonood ako ng touching love story movies.

Since all of us have a child within, can you tell us about her?

Jolina: The child within me is a dreamer and passionate. Sa totoo lang malambing ako, I still love to eat candies and chocolates basta anything sweet at tsaka yumakap sa lampin at unan. I can’t sleep without them. Feeling ko nga minsan baby pa rin ako (laughs).

Since you’ve done a lot for your music all these years, is there something new you’d like to do?

Jolina: I think to prove my versatility in music I would like to sing rock music in my concert or record a classical-inspired song in my album someday.

How do you see yourself ten years from now?

Jolina: Well, I have my own family with wonderful kids to take care, a successful fashion boutique and restaurant businesses and hopefully, maintain a great showbiz career.

How soon Jolina Magdangal will get married and settle down?

Jolina: Very soon. As in malapit na and I am very proud of him (her boyfriend) because he never failed to make me feel special and he’s someone I can share the best days of my life.

I Love NY as well as SOP and Pinoy Idol are a top-rating TV shows, what makes it special?

Jolina: For me, it’s a feel-good soap opera that mirrors a lot about the magic of love. Actually, nakakagulat nga dahil napakataas ng rating ng show kahit hindi siya fantaserye and the first ever TV soap wherein 60 percent of the scenes was shot in New York. It’s also a good comeback tandem for me and Marvin after many years. Enjoy din ako working with Jennelyn (Mercado) and Mark (Herras).

Any message for your Ilonggo fans?

Jolina: Oh, I love the Ilonggos because they are very malambing! Thank you for your support and I hope I could inspire many people to be happy with everything I do with my music, TV shows and movies.

No comments: